Who is it indended for?

The NIE is the Spanish tax identification number assigned to non-resident property owners in Spain, which is required for most formal registration and administrative procedures carried out in Spain.
A NIE number will be required when you Buy or sell a property in Spain, Inherit assets in Spain, Apply for a business permit, Apply for a mortgage or other type of loan, Open a bank account, Pay your taxes. Apply for a driving license in Spain, etc…. an many others

What does it include?

The NIE shall be applied to the Spanish police, you will be required to present the following documents:

  • Your original passport plus 1 copy
  • The NIE application form completed and signed
  • 2 photographs

This service includes:

  • Either accompanying you to apply for your NIE NUMBER (In Alicante, for example, people are advised to start queuing at 5.00 a.m. to get their NIE number, because each morning the office gives out numbers to the first 70 people in the queue. The rest have to return and queue again the next day.
  • Obtaining and filling in the legal forms needed to apply for the NIE no.
  • Receiving and sending you the NIE no. finally granted.


If you want to buy property, take up residence, set up a business or open a branch of your business in Spain, even before forming a company, you will have to obtain your N.I.E.

All foreigners who have been granted an extension of their stay in Spain or those foreigners who are in possession of a document entitling them to live in Spain temporarily, those foreigners who have an administrative file which is being processed in accordance with the Spanish immigration regulations or those foreigners who, because of their economic, professional or social interests, are linked to Spain, must apply for and obtain an exclusive, personal identity number.

The NIE is a personal, non-transferable identity number and must appear on all documents which you are issued with or which are processed for you, just like the stamps on your passport or any similar document.

It must be pointed out that the NIE in itself neither proves legal residence in Spain nor is it a work permit. To be able to legally live or work in Spain you must apply for the respective permits in the OFICINAS DE EXTRANJEROS (Foreign Department) in each province in Spain which are accountable to the Home Office. These departments will inform you of the papers that you have to present and the requirements that you have to satisfy in order to obtain these permits. You must apply for the NIE at the Police Station (Comisaria de Policia) in the municipality where you are going to live, buy property or set up your business. In order to be able to apply for this number, you must present the following documents at the proper State Police Station (Comisaria de la Policia Nacional):

  • Official application form (these can be obtained free of charge from the Police Station) – Original passport and a 3 photocopy of your passport (you will be given back the passport there and then once it has been checked against the photocopy by an official) – When you fill in the application you should briefly state the reason for your application so as to justify your legitimate interest.

If a representative makes the application for you, a simple letter or written authorizations is enough to pick up the NIE NUMBER when the application has been presented. Once the NIE application has been presented, you will be given a copy of your application (blue) with the stamp of the Police Station and the date of presentation and you will be told to collect it in approximately 20 days.

Once you have been given your NIE at the Police Station, you should go to the local Tax Office (Delegación de Hacienda) in the area where you presented your application in order to apply for your FISCAL IDENTITY CARD – NIF (Fiscal Identity Number). The NIF is exactly the same as the NIE and can be obtained on the spot at the Tax Office (Delegación de Hacienda de la Agencia Estatal de la Administración Tributaria). Your NIF must appear on any official form that you have to fill in for tax-related matters in Spain. You will also be asked for it at the bank if you want to open a bank account.